Personal Chef Service -
My Blog

Recipe trials, failures and Triumphs

OK, I admit it. I fell off the wagon. I warned you all that I am a little F.A.D.D.  I picked my recipes for the week.....then got side tracked. Disinterested. Taken out to dinner. Tired. But I did squeeze a few things in, and as promised wanted to share the past two weeks cooking adventures. I will apologize - no photos this week - remember I said tired? Mentally tired that is. Enough about that though - let's talk food.

I had a recipe for orange marmalade, which I love. As does one of my clients. It is citrus season...yes - now is the time. I chose blood oranges to make it special. Made the recipe (8 days later) and was less than thrilled with what looked like candied orange peel. Where was the marmale? This recipe needed some work. Not to waste a whole bag of oranges, I went back to my heavy bottomed pot, added water and sugar, the orange peel and some cranberries I had left over. Another version of this recipe added campari - that could be good. I let it boil away, got it to 210F and scooped it back to the jars. Delicious!!! I love a thick cut marmalade. The campari added a nice bitterness to complement the blood orange, and the cranberries added nice plump globes of color ad sweetness. No specific recipe here - but try the variation on your favorite marmalade recipe.

Next up - Lemon Meyer Jam. Which is not jam at all. It is a savory sauce really, used on fish, veggies and chicken. Meyer lemons are not as sharp in flavor as a regular lemon (also not as "lemony") but this sauce has been served so far on cod, asparagus, potatoes and pasta. Delicious and oh so fancy seeming. Nice way to dress up a boring meal with the citrus flavors of winter. The light yellow color is really pretty on greens too.

I attempted a Williams-Sonoma Chili recipe that my husband hated...skanky beer? Bad beef? Just not his thing? Whatever the end decision (none of which I believe is to blame) this two bean jalepeno and beef concoction was a bummer, so I am not even going to share. I ended up making him a ground turkey and chipotle chili from the pantry - much better. The jalepeno coleslaw with cilantro as a side was a big hit however. Colorful, low fat, and spicy - he loved this one. Would be good on a pulled BBQ chicken sandwich for sure!

I also felt inspired (though hadn't thought so initially ) to make a tabouleh. Bulgur, mint, parsley and tomatoes with lemon and olive oil....my own recipe based on many resources - pretty much the classic. Good, but realized I went a little too light on the olive oil - easy fix.

Valentine's day I was in the mood for pasta. I made a porcini, vidalia onion and spinach whole wheat pasta linguine, complete with a creamy (vegan) mushroom and marsala sauce - so good and comforting. Perfect with a nice bottle of red. A little smoked sardine and light salad to start - a box of chocolates to nibble - no we did not eat the whole box - and the evening was quite romantic, watching the Olympics.

A friend gave us a German saukraut with champagne that we tried with vegan dogs. A little too sweet for my taste to be honest, but a good horseradish mustard and some caraway seeds helped. So a very uneventful week in the chef's house. I promise to give you something more interesting in the weeks to come - complete with photos......Even a personal chef can have a bad day cooking. But it isn't often! Now off to cook for a ladies night blizzard party. Blizzard was just the bonus.....stay warm, keep cooking and eat well!

21 Comments to Recipe trials, failures and Triumphs:

Comments RSS
Bon Appetite De Lisa on Sunday, February 16, 2014 1:24 AM
Marmalade is a delicious tangy spread to have on your toast for breakfast. This marmalade recipe is surprisingly easy to make and uses plenty of oranges.

URL of ukdissertation on Monday, February 17, 2014 12:47 PM
Very informative guidelines you include in this article and everyone understand easily in this article tips.

commercial food equipment on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:33 AM
So many trials and so many failure it seems that you have not given up. I do try few recipes on Sunday but never get what i want.

Traffic Management Courses on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:07 PM
This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best article i ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article.

home parties on Friday, February 28, 2014 6:18 AM
Inspired post.Thanks for the information.Aninimateme build existing USA company.It s supply home parties, bachelorette party, bachelorette, adult party, host a celebration.Thank you.

Kale With Quinoa on Thursday, March 06, 2014 11:42 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your cooking experience with us. I love to cook different type of food in my kitchen. I love to do new experiments too.

improvement of etp on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:46 AM
I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.

Office Supplies Brisbane on Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:01 AM
It proved to be Very helpful to me thank for sharing

Sandoval Jem on Thursday, April 03, 2014 6:23 AM
Massages are really beneficial for improving health if we maintain it in a right way. With this blog I come to know about the great combination of massage oils. Thanks for sharing with us.

what are some good places to eat in las vegas on Monday, April 21, 2014 4:48 AM
Hi, nice post. I have been thinking about this topic,so thanks for sharing.

cheap longchamp handbags on Saturday, May 24, 2014 12:35 AM

Alpha cut HD on Friday, June 20, 2014 11:10 AM
Alpha cut HD is an excellent product and will be employed by anyone United Nations agency needs effective and quicker results. I undoubtedly advocate the answer to everybody. Reply to comment

Yacon Molasses Review on Thursday, June 26, 2014 1:09 PM
Sugar can play the role of a major spoil sport when you are trying to lose weight. Losing weight is very difficult these days and an easy method is on the lookout of many. Yacon is the answer to the search of the solution for weight loss problem.

Alpha cut HD on Thursday, June 26, 2014 1:54 PM

Heart Throb on Wednesday, July 02, 2014 11:57 AM
I think you like to do adventure with your food with a hope that you might come up with a taste you have never tasted before (I mean a good one). Though, I am going to try your recipe but still feel lil hesitated when it comes to experimenting with food

Yacon Molasses Review on Monday, July 14, 2014 12:59 PM
Yacon Molasses contains extracts of the roots of yacon plant. This is where it gets its sweet taste from. It is made from handpicked plants and natural ingredients. It is rich in many vitamins and minerals which aid a lot in natural digestion, energy boost up and increased metabolism.

uhren on Monday, July 28, 2014 9:40 PM
Die Gesamtnutzlast liegt bei 426 Kilogramm.Replica Uhren Deutschland Die Schweizer Gesundheitsbeh?rden raten ausl?ndischen EM-Besuchern au? Uhren Deutschland m dazu,Swiss Replica Uhren sich gegen Masern impfen zu lassen. Für ihn war das alles so fremd. 000 Quadratmeter setzenden Hornbach-Gruppe wird dies so gesehen. Langj?hrige Ankündigung einer GesamtbewertungFünftens: Auch wenn es noch an Erkenntnissen über die Wirksamkeit von Ma?nahmen mangelt,Replica Uhren Deutschland sollte eine politische Priorisierung vorgenommen werden.

Event Organizer In Jaipur on Saturday, August 23, 2014 6:04 AM
I've been looking for these, thanks for sharing moreover honestly speaking I love to read your article keep it up.

Best Wedding Photographer in Jaipur, on Saturday, August 23, 2014 6:05 AM
I have read the post it is really very interesting and informative.

Crazy Bulk on Saturday, September 06, 2014 12:45 AM
Crazy Bulk is the awesome bodybuilding supplement that provides proper growth muscles in your body and you can gain muscles in very short span of time. It is natural product helps to get stronger muscles as well as the anabolic agent as it is containing in it sure helps to boost up your energy level and increases ability of your body as well.

Garcinia Cambrogia on Monday, September 08, 2014 1:13 AM
Garcinia Cambrogia is one of the excellent fat blocker supplements as it helps to eliminate fatty acids from your body and provides slim-trim figures and physiques to all men and women. As you start using Garcinia Cambrogia to get best figure in proper shape as well as it contains all natural ingredients that provide you excellent shaped body.